Philosophy Honours Course
was introduced in the year 2002. One of the students
from the first batch has obtained 1st class in the
year 2005. Medium of instruction in this college is
English. Inspite of that, many students take
admission in this department from several Bengali
medium schools of the city and its outskirts. The
faculty give essential effort to help them that they
can follow lectures and secure good results in the
In order to boost up the self confidence of the students, the faculty guide them in organising departmental seminars where each and every student gets a platform to present her paper.
Students of this
department take part in various inter collegiate
debates and seminars that are organised for the
students by different Universities on International
Philosophy Day every year.
Special lectures are arranged by the department where eminent teachers of different colleges and Universities come and deliver lectures to the students for their improvement.
Educational trips are organised by the department to give all round exposure to the students.
Philosophy which is known as science of all
science and art of all arts gives an overall view of
life. A Philosophy Honours Graduate has various
options to choose for their higher studies such as
Post Graduation in Philosophy, Journalism, Mass
Communication, Law, Film studies, Management
Studies, Computer Science etc. Teaching (School,
College/ University) P.O. of Bank, I.A.S., W.B.C.S.,
Practising Law, - these fields are open for her to
choose as profession.
Elective Subject Combinationsfor Philosophy (B.A.) as Honours subject
- History and Elective Bengali
- Political Science and Education
- Sanskrit and Education
- Elective Bengali and Sanskrit
- History and Elective English
Sm. Krishnakali Chakraborty Banerjee
Dr. Lalita Agrawal
and Guest Faculty
Activities of Philosophy Department
- One day seminar was organized on 6th of November 2017, on 'the Lives and Achievements of Great Personalities' on the occasion of 150th Birth Anniversary of Sister Nivedita and Madam Curie. A poster competition was also organized on this occasion. All the students of the Department attended the seminar and participated in the poster competition. First year students of the Department were awarded the first prize for their poster on Sister Nivedita by the speaker and judge Mr. Shishir Roy, the chief editor of Anand Bazar Patrika.
- On 21st of December 2016, the whole Department participated in the College exhibition and made different types of models, posters and wall magazines.
- In January 2017 Annual sports, students participated wholeheartedly and the students of the department won prizes in putting the ball into the basket and lemon and spoon race competition.
- Second year and Third year students of the Department participated in the Antakshari competition held in October 2017.
- An educational excursion was jointly organised on 31st January, 2015 by the Philosophy, History and Political Science departments. The students were taken to Gandhi Ghat and the Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalaya, Barrackpore as part of this educational trip focusing on the life and work of Gandhiji.
- Wall magazines on "On Gandhi" was made by the students of the Department in April 2015.
- Wall magazine on 'female literacy' made by the students of the Department of Philosophy in April 2015.
- A students seminar was organised on the topic, "Sources of Knowledge As Accepted by the Schools of Indian Philosophy " on 27th March,2015 at 10:30 in Room 5 .The first year students Ishita Bhattacharjee spoke on "Carvaka View on Sources of Knowledge".
- A students seminar was organised on the topic, "Sources of Knowledge As Accepted by the Schools of Indian Philosophy - on 27th March,2015 at 10:30 in Room 5 .The first year students, Oindrila Banerjee spoke on "Mimamsa: Arthapatti as Source of Knowledge" .