The Department of geography, located in the south-east corner of the second floor of the Main Building, has four full time faculty members. It is one of the first Departments that started in the College. Also it is one of the earliest established Honours departments in Geography under the University of Calcutta. It has nurtured many students who have attained various respectable positions in academics and other fields as well. At present the department is well equipped with learning resources and has a brilliant galaxy of alumni comprising eminent geographers working in different parts of India and abroad.
- Good student-teacher ratio
- Regular tutorials
- Good collection of books in the Seminar Library of the department.
- Consistently good performance in the University exam
- Facilitating in- depth study and encouraging presentation skills among the pupils by inviting contribution in the departmental section of the college magazine
- Intensive field surveys for preparation of topical reports on an annual basis
- Higher studies in university of Calcutta or any other reputed university in the country and abroad.
- Employment opportunities with specialized training in schools , colleges, universities ,National Atlas and Thematic Mapping Organization, Survey of India.
- Well trained geographers play a vital role in the fields of map making, pollution management, weather analysis, disaster management, agricultural and industrial planning, census preparation, town and country planning.
- A student can enter in various fields, such as
Masters in Geography, Environment, Agriculture,
Forestry, Marine Science, Remote Sensing,
Geographic Information System, Rural Development,
Indian Administrative Service, West Bengal Civil
Service, Teaching etc
Elective Subject Combinations
For Geography (B.A.) as Honours subject
- Sanskrit and Education
- Education and Political Science
- Geography Hons. (B.A. & B.Sc.) :
For Geography (B.Sc.) as Honours subject
- Economics and Political Science
- Economics and Sociology
Special Information for students opting for Geography as elective subject
Geography General will be offered only to
students who obtain at least 60% in Geography and at
least 50% in aggregate in the previous qualifying
Students taking up Geography General shall give a written undertaking that they are prepared to participate in field excursion anywhere in India; supported by a fitness certificate from a medical practitioner. Attendance in field trip is compulsory as part fulfillment of B.A./B.Sc. General syllabi of Calcutta University.
Sm. Kamalini Dasgupta
Sm. Zupati Hembram
Dr. Md. Iqbal Sultan
Dr. Krishnakali Roy
and Guest Faculty
Sri Ranjit Ghosh
Sri Goutam Sen
Sri Shankar Lal Mishra (Contractual)
Activities of the Department of Geography
Field Excursion 2018
Department of Geography arranged an excursion for the students of GEOA Part II and GEOG Part I in Jabalpur, MP during 2nd week of January, 2018 as a part of their University Examination syllabi. The team set out for Jabalpur on 13th January from Howrah and reached there on 14th January, 2018. The excursion group included fifty three students, two teachers and two laboratory attendants. During the field work the students had collected both primary and secondary data on various physical, socio-economic and cultural aspects under the supervision of their respective teachers. They also visited local municipality, hospitals and educational institutions. The group returned to Howrah on 20thJanuary, 2018.
On Hands Training
In 2018 many students of the department participated in the certificate course organized by UNESCO for Green Earth Conservation.
Field Excursion 2018 : Jabalpur
- Field Excursion 2017
Second year Geography Honours and First year Geography General students of the Geography Department visited Jhandi Dara in Gorubathan Block of Darjeeling District for field studies as part completion of their University Examination Syllabi. The Excursion group was put up at Jhandi Eco Hub. The completed household and school survey at Syamabeong Tea Estate, Tea Garden survey at Batabari Tea Garden, Traffic Flow and Market Survey at Gorubathan from 16th to 19th April, 2017. The group returned to Sealdah on 21st April, 2017.
- On Hands Training
A demonstration lecture was conducted for the Departmental Faculty members of Geography by National Instruments personal from Roorkee. He explained the working of Soil and Water Analysis and Testing on Saturday, 13th May, 2017 in the college departmental laboratory.
- The Second year Honours students accompanied by
the faculty visited Chalsa, Mongalbari village in
the Matiali Block of Jalpaiguri District, West
Bengal between 19th and 25th April, 2015. Extensive
fieldwork was carried out with survey instruments in
the Murti river bed. Other investigations included
door to door household interviews rural and urban
landuse market morphology, traffic flow and
The report is being prepared by the students under the guidance of the concerned teachers. In order to expand the learning horizon, the Department is currently conducting a Short Course on Applicability of Geographic Information Systems by experts from an International Mapping Organization called Skymap Global. The invited faculty is headed by Anushila Sengupta, a 2010 batch alumni of this department and college. A few 2015 batch pass out students are also enrolled in this course which is covering mapping of current dynamics of depleting forest cover, changing river courses and sea floor relief. The course is held after college hours every Saturday since, 19th Sept. 2015. The participating students will receive an accreditation certificate on completion of this course.
- Students celebrated Teachers' Day (5th September) with great fervour and joy.
- The Department of Geography organised a one day field visit to Amtala as an orientation for educational excursion on December 24th, 2014 for the First, Second and Third year students. The students were initiated into the basics of household, traffic and land use survey.