The purpose of education is to develop the knowledge, skill, or character of students.
Keeping this purpose in mind, the Education Department of Gokhale Memorial Girls' College strives to achieve its obligation and responsibility towards its students. It puts in its best efforts to make sure that students after graduating are able to lead their lives as respectable members of the society.Girls have not only done well in the field of higher education, but have also successfully established themselves in various other sectors, such as, Human Resource Department of the MNCs, Banking, Administrative Service, etc.
From the year 2008, practical lessons on pedagogy and statistics were incorporated in the curriculum and the Department is successfully conducting the practical classes.
- Higher studies in the Calcutta University or other reputed Universities and Institutions.
- Students may get opportunity for joining the Masters course in Social Work (MSW) and move into the field of humanitarian service.
- Occupations for which one can opt are teachers, lecturers, school inspectors, guidance officers, counsellors, educational managers, officers in education department, educational administrators etc.
- Students may also join MBA courses after
Elective Subject Combinations
- History and Political Science
- History and Philosophy
- Psychology and Political Science
- Psychology and Sanskrit
- History and Sanskrit
- History and Psychology
Dr. Srabanti Mukhopadhyay
Sm. Ivy De
Sri Newtan Biswas
Sk. Sariful Islam
Activities of Department of Education
Awards and Achievements
- Soumana Ray secured the 8th rank in the University Examination in 2011
- Kakoli Dutta secured the 8th rank in the University Examination in 2013
- Sangeeta Bhadra, presently a student of third year, Department of Education, won the Second Runner-Up position in the Inter College Music Competition named 'Gangulir Gaan Guli', sponsored by Power F.M, on July, 2013 at City Centre, Razarhat. She was also a part of the celebration of the competition of 100 years of 'Geetanjali' .
- Shreya Sarkar, presently a student of third year, Department of Education, participated as a Finalist of Poster Competition on Earth Day i.e. 24th June, 2014 organized by Eco Club of Women Christian College, Kolkata. She got lots of appreciation by the panel of the Judges. She is an active member of Rotaract Club of Calcutta Renaissance and holds the post of Reporter in the Board of 2014-15 under Press Assignment currently. She was awarded the First Runner Up position in the P.C. Chandra Goldlites Diva 2014. She also represented the College in "Caledonia" and "Xavotsav" the two big student fests held at St. Xavier's College, Kolkata every year.
- Rwipti Mazumder, presently a 3rd Year student, Department of Education, won the Best Trainee Award in Advance Rock Climbing Course, Matha Buru, Purulia, 2014. She ranked 1st in Balance Race and ranked 2nd in Flat Race. She also won the Champion's Trophy in Annual College Sports, in 2014. She also took part in the trekking programme organized by 'Jara Jajabor' at Dooars, North Bengal, India in December 2014.
- Sharmistha Karmakar, a third year student
got the First prize in Dart Competition held on
Annual Sports Day 2014.
- The students of the department participated with great fervour in the College Exhibition organized on 22nd December, 2013. They set up colourful models and posters to depict various important aspects of the subject of Education.
Seminars, Workshops, Special Lectures, Paper Presentations
- U.G.C. sponsored National Seminar on 'Swami Vivekananda's Views on Education: Dimensions and Modern Day Relevance' organised by Department of Education, Susil Kar College, Champahati, South 24 Parganas in collaboration with Department of Education, Gokhale Memorial Girls' College, Kolkata on 10th and 11th January, 2014. Eminent personalities in their respective fields were invited to deliver their valuable speeches on the occasion.
- A seminar was organised by Department of Education and Department of Philosophy on 5th April, 2014. The topic was "Manush: Rabindranath Tagore, Vivekananda and Gandhijir Drishtivangir Aloke". Dr. Tarun Goswami delivered a lecture on the topic. Papers were read by the students also. Meholi Acharaya and Namrata Ganguly jointly presented a paper entitled, "Rabindranather Shiksatatwa". Ankita Karmakar, Debopriya Sanyal and Sreya Sarkar jointly presented a paper on "Educational Philosophy of Vivekananda".
- A special lecture was organized by Department of Education on 17 February 2015. Dr. Bijan Sarkar, Associate Professor, Dept. of Education, University of Kalyani, delivered a lecture on "Managing Stress and Being Healthy".
- Sanchita Mondal, B.A 3rd year student presented a paper entitled 'Issues and Challenges of Psycho-Sexual theory in 21st Century' in an International Seminar on "Different Perspectives of Education In Modern Society", (DEPMS 2015), organized by JRSET College of Education, Nadia, on 21st and 22nd February, 2015.
Excursions and Educational Tours
- The Department carried out a survey in ICDS centre near Gopal Nagar on 12 February 2015.
- The Department conducted an educational tour of Tagore's home in Kolkata, popularly known as