The first batch of students was admitted in the academic session 1984-85 and graduated in the year 1987.
The Department has a full-time Faculty and Guest Faculty to cater to the students' needs. Every year, faculties from other eminent institutes are invited to deliver lectures in their fields of specialization.
Each year, the Department churns out a number of students with excellent results (First Class in Honours) in the University examination. In the year 2009, a student of this Department stood first in the University of Calcutta.
Preparation of final examination is facilitated through regular class-room lectures, provision of relevant reference materials, notes and tutorials.
Students are encouraged to
conduct project work and/or participate in
discussions on current economic problems.
The Faculty strives to help students in writing the Term-Papers (dissertations) as part of the Course Curriculum in the third and last year of the Course.
The College Library is well stocked with books appropriate to the Course study. Additional reading material, books and journals are available for students having particular academic inclination.
Parent-teacher meetings are conducted on regular basis to discuss students' progress.
Remedial classes are arranged by the Department for the weaker students.
Tutorials, mock tests, group discussions and doubt-clearing sessions are conducted as part of the overall student assessment process which enhances their ability to cope with a difficult and lengthy course curriculum.
Students are also encouraged to participate in all the co-curricular activities in the college, which they do most eagerly indeed and to the best of their abilities.
- Pursuing higher studies in Economics, Applied
Economics, and allied subjects (like Foreign
Trade, Quantitative Economics, Labour Economics
and other fields of Social Science) in different
reputed universities all over India including the
- Pursuing higher studies in Management and
- Job prospects in currently growing Banking and
- Prospect of being absorbed in Actuarial
business is particularly bright for students in
the discipline of Economics with Mathematics.
- Students with a flair for writing in
English/Bengali may choose careers in Journalism
particularly in the field of socio-political
Elective Subject Combinations
for Economics (B.Sc.) as Honours subject
- Mathematics and Political Science
- Mathematics and Elective English
- Mathematics and Sociology
The departmental library is ready accessible to the students and adequately caters to the students' requirements through issuance of reference books and reading material as and when needed by them.
Activities of Economics Department
Student Participation in Co-curricular Activities
- National School of Hotel Management FEST - 1st year students win the 2nd position in Acting
- Shikshayatan College Fest - 1st year students win second position in Tatoo making
- Loreto Samagam Fest - 1st year students win second position in Poster designing
- 1st year students participate in Mock Newsroom
- St. Xavier’s College Fest - 1st year students win the first position in Taboo competition.
- 1st year students participate in Aus der Box event at Loreto College fest "Samagam".
- Imon Ghosh of 3rd year participate in the doubles Badminton champonship in the college in December 2016.
- Reshmi De of 3rd Year participate in the event "Good, Bad and the Giffen" at Arthatantra Meet January 2017 at Presidency University.
- Reshmi De, Akanshita Chatterjee, Mimika Mukherjee and Megha Moulik of 3rd year participated in the Paper Presentation event "Exposition" held on the topic "Child Labour" in September 2017
- Imon Ghosh of 3rd year participated in
Loreto College Fest "Ecolore" in Poster-making
and Inneo-quizzical event at Arthtantra Meet in
- Oindrila Banerjee of 1st Year won the First Prize in the Annual Dance Competition held in the College in October 2015.
- Oishi Saha of 1st Year participated in the Annual Dance Competition held in the College in October 2015 and in several such competitions held in other institutions, viz., "Caledonia 2016", the Scottish Church College fest, "Xavotsav’2016", and in the Group Dance Competition at "Kaleidoscope, 2015", Lady Brabourne College fest.
- Reshmi De of 1st Year took part in the essay competition at "Confluence, 2015", the Economics Summit organized by the Department of Economics, St. Xavier’s College.
- Akansha Chatterjee of 2nd Year and Reshmi De and Ipsita Goswami of 1st Year jointly participated in the Paper Presentation at "Conjecture 2015" organized by Narendrapur Ramakrishna Mission College in September 2015.
- Imon Ghosh of 1st Year participated in the Badminton Competition in the Scottish Church College fest "Caledonia 2016", and obtained the 3rd position.
- Akanshita Chatterjee of 1st Year A participated in Poster Making competition at "Ecolore 2015" organized by Loreto College on 3.12.2015 and obtained the 2nd position jointly with Gurjari Dubey also of 1st year and participant at "Ecolore 2015".
- Kousani Das 1st Year participated in the Essay Writing competition at "Ecolore 2015" organized by Loreto College.
- Akansha Chatterjee of 3rd Year, Reshmi De and Akanshita Chaterjee of 2nd Year participated in "Conjecture 2016", organized by Narendrapur Ramakrishna Mission College for Paper Presentation on 23.09.2016 and obtained the First position
- Srijata Thakur of 1st Year participated in
Solo Vocal Music Competition at "Caledonia
2016", the Scottish Church College fest and "Sanskriti
2016", the Jadavpur University fest and obtained
the First position on both occasions.
Awards and Achievements
Students attend the Certification Program in Financial Markets (Basics) conducted by the CUCSE-CEFM in collaboration with the University of Calcutta, one from 2nd February to 7th February, 2015 and the other from 31st August to 4th September, 2015. Participating students were awarded certificates after successful completion of the programme.
Seminars, Workshops, Special Lecture
A Special Lecture entitled, "Governance, Institutions and Economic Prosperity", was delivered by Dr. Sukanta Bhattacharya, Professor, Department of Economics, University of Calcutta on 28th February, 2018.
Students attend the Environment awareness Programme on 25.02.2014 presided over by Sri Jiban Sardar and participate in the question-answer session.
A one-day Workshop on gender sensitization organized on 22 March 2014, by the college in collaboration with SAMAGAM-an NGO working with legal aid and awareness in Kolkata. Students of the Economics Department stage a play on counselling and legal aid for rape victims written and directed by them.
The Department arranges a Special Lecture on May 8, 2015 and it is delivered by Dr. Sanmitra Ghosh, Professor, Dept. of Economics, Jadavpur University. The topic of his discussion is "Does Pivotality Convey Information to Voters: Some Experimental Results".
A Special Lecture is delivered by Dr. S. K. Nath, Fmr. Director General, Central Statistical Organisation, India, on September 15, 2015. He speaks on developing official statistics in India and in other countries, particularly in the Developing countries. His lecture is entitled, "Dynamics of Statistical System".
Dr. Saswati Ghosh, Asssociate Professor, Dept. of Economics, City College (Main), Kolkata, delivers a Special Lecture entitled "Gender Inequality and the Social Perspective" on September 22, 2015.
Students participate in data collection for the College Project-"Virtual" or "Actual": The Preferred Reality of our Urban Youth".
Participation in Miscellaneous Activities
Students participate in the Annual Competitions,
College Day Cultural Programme and on all occasions
of special observances held in the College in 2014.
The College organizes a Walk on 31 October 2014 to observe the Rastriya Ekta Divas to mark the Birth Anniversary of Sardar Ballavbhai Patel. Students of the Department attired in multi-coloured regional costumes participate with posters to depict the diversity of culture in India.
Students prepare posters on the subject, "United we stand", the pledge envisioned by National leaders and reaffirmed on Rastriya Ekta Divas.
2nd Year student Soumika Banerjee wins 2nd prize in the category, 'Classical Dance' in Annual Competitions of the year 2014.
Students of the Third Year visit an orphanage school named "Refugee" located in Bowbazar, Kolkata, for the under- privileged children on 26th November, 2014 and distributed clothing, food stuffs and sports goods among the children.
Educational tours and Excursions
Departmental Picnic at Raspunja, South 24 Parganas on 22/01/14
The Faculty arranges an excursion to Khas Mallikpur near Baruipur in South 24 Parganas district on 15th February in 2015, and supervises them in conducting an in-person survey of the prospering Amrud (Indian pear or Guava) plantations in this belt. Students obtain valuable insights into how to draw up questionnaires and interview the targeted respondents. The questionnaire includes socio-demographic and economic queries and is put to the growers in the local language. The responses obtained are quite satisfactory and findings significant and interesting.
Students and teachers share lively moments with each other on the occasion of Teachers' Day (5th September). Students sing and dance at their heart's content for the teachers in the Department.
Activities of the Economics Department