Enhanced with a proper teaching methodology and academic planning right from its inception, the department has been able to move ahead leaving behind visible footprints of success and improvement. As the study of Bengali language and literature cannot be limited through the boundaries of the current curriculum, the department has endeavoured to provide the students with an overall knowledge of library criticism, past and present. Frequent special lectures by faculties of other Colleges and eminent speakers are arranged along with interactive sessions so that the students are encouraged towards a sound creative speculation.
- Higher studies in University of Calcutta or other reputed Universities.
- Studies in the filled of Advertising, Media, Journalism, Print Media and Publishing Houses and opportunities for employment in these areas.
- Suitable job orientation as junior research associate, in college libraries and universities.
- Eligibility through School Service Commission
Examinations and other sources as teaching faculty
in schools at the Primary, Secondary and Higher
Elective Subject Combinations
for Bengali (B.A.) as Honours subject
- Philosophy and Sanskrit
- Philosophy and Political Science
- History and Political Science
- Geography and Sanskrit
- History and Sanskrit
- Geography and Political Science
Dr. Ballari Roy Choudhury
Dr. Rakhi Mitra
Sm. Shampa Sarkar
and Guest faculty
The wholehearted active participation of the students and a close network of teaching and learning helps the Department to move ahead. The Bangla Bhasha o Sahitya Bibhag (the Bengali Language and Literature Section) of Gokhale Memorial Girls College works as a unified community in social interactions with all its former students and alumni.
Various activities are undertaken by the Department.
- Special Lecture on the plays of Rabindranath Tagore were delivered on 1st October 2015by Prof.Saumitra Basu, Shishir Bhaduri Adhyapak, Drama Section, Rabindra Bharati University on 1st October 2015.
- Celebrating Teacher's Day, 2015
- Students celebrate Bhasa Dibosh, the International Language Day on the 21st of February every year.
- A power point presentation by students of First Year Honours on 19th Century Bengali Literature in September, 2014.
- Departmental Journal, an important milestone
'Protitee' is a Departmental Journal entirely planned and published by the students. 'Protitee' means knowledge. The first issue was published in 2011.Though irregularly published, the journal it marks a good initiative indeed on the part of the students.
"The Department of Bengali, Bangla Bhasha o Sahitya Bibhaag, commemorates Ekushe February, Bhasha Shohid Dibosh, the International Language Day, every year with poetry recitation, songs and departmental discussions. Audio-visual teaching-learning and paper presentations with a multi- disciplinary approach ventures new avenues."